Another Book About Self Discovery, but This Time...

I loved this book! Oh my goodness did I love this book. It was beautifully written, it was engaging, the characters (for the most part) had a ton of depth, and it was such a unique concept.

Words on Bathroom Walls is written from the point of view of Adam, a boy who was (recently?) diagnosed with schizophrenia, through a series of letters to his therapist. He starts at a new high school, meets a new girl (yes, love interest), and struggles with the side effects of a new trial medication. So, yeah, lots of new things for our stalwart main character.

I've read books in the past that feature main characters with mental illness, but none that I've read have been done as well as this book. Oftentimes in books whose main character is not our general idea of normal (i.e., when they're gay or have a mental illness), the parts of that character that aren't "normal" essentially become the character. I'm so, so pleased that Julia Walton, the author of this book, managed to make Adam himself, and not just the guy with schizophrenia. At the same time, she didn't downplay the role of his mental illness in his life, either.

TL;DR. Walton manages to portray Adam as a person whose personality has been shaped, in part, by schizophrenia, but whose entire personality is not the fact that he's schizophrenic.

I read this book in two days, and I could barely put it down that entire time.

Definitely a 4.5/5 stars.

Side note: the cover is also amazing. Buy it!

Sunny

Comments

Popular Posts